Even though the holiday season is a wonderful time full of holiday festivities, there is also an increased risk of fire hazards. Keep reading for some tips to help keep your family and home safe this holiday season.
Christmas Tree Safety
- Choose a fresh tree with branches that don’t break or fall off easily
- Always make sure your tree is watered
- If you choose an artificial tree, ensure it is labeled as “fire resistant”
- Set up your tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces, heaters, and vents
- Ensure your fire detecting devices such as smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are tested monthly. Check out our fire safety blog on more information.
- Ensure you have a working fire extinguisher in your home
- Read manufacturer’s instructions to make sure your outlets and power strips are not overpowered by too many sources
- Ensure your bulbs are all working and not shattered and that no wires are exposed or frayed
- When leaving your home or heading to bed for the night, turn off your indoor and outdoor holiday lights to save energy and decrease the chances of something blowing out. Give us a call at 800-613-1874 to learn how to incorporate smart lights with your smart home system!
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
- Educate kids on fire safety
- Ensure candles are 12 inches away from any flammable objects such as decorations and Christmas trees
- Keep candles away from kids and curious pets
- Make sure your fireplace or chimney is cleaned before lighting a fire
- Keep a screen on when fire is burning to prevent any popping and flying embers
- Do not use magazine, wrapping, or other decorative papers that cause an intense burn which can result in a flash fire. Only use fire wood
As always, we’d like to thank our customers for the continued support and we hope to continue to provide safety to our customers. If you have any questions please give us a call at 800-613-1874.
Have a happy and safe holiday season!